Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Surrey, BC here I come (well tomorrow, really)

I should be writing, rewriting, editing, and so many other productive things right now.  But I can't seem to get focused.  I'm just too excited about my big trip to the SIWC.   Four days.  No husband.  No children.  Surrounded by amazing authors with a wealth of knowledge to share.  In fact, I've woken up before 5 a.m. the last two days and couldn't get back to sleep because of it.  I'm worse than a kid at Christmas.

Did I mention the No Kids part?

Anyhow, my bag is [nearly] packed.  I've picked a scene for the Blue Pencil session with Jo Bourne.  There's not much to worry about.  So why am I so keyed up?

First off, I can't find my better pair of heels for Saturday night's banquet.  Target was fresh out of my size.  Plenty of size 6s and 9s though.  Assholes.  I don't know why I ever thought they were better than WalMart.  Just when you need something in a pinch, they drop the ball.

And oh yeah, I'm scheduled to pitch to Sorche Fairbank on Friday, and my manuscript is nowhere near ready.  When I signed up, I'd thought my second, maybe even third, draft would be done.  Nope.  Not even close.  I considered canceling because I don't want to waste her time.  BUT, I'd really like to practice pitching, and who knows...she might like the idea of it, right?  A girl can dream.
So I've made an appointment at Blue River Canyon Day Spa for a four hour spa package, that I hope will take away some of the nerves.  My wonderful, amazing, doesn't-get-the-whole-writing-thing husband gives me gift certificates every year to this place.  Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow for many trips (only two in the last three years).  So when I go, I get the good shit because it might be another two years before I get the chance again.

Here's to no more stress and getting the most out of this amazing conference.

p.s. I'll try to blog along the way, but I hear there won't be much extracurricular time...so, don't wait up

No comments: