Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tattoo #3

Some people see their body as a temple and feel they should not taint it.  Other people, like me, see their body as a temple and choose to decorate the canvas with art.  And sadly, there are people who don't see their body as anything at all.  I feel bad for them.

The idea for this tattoo came to me when my husband gave me a necklace back in 2004 (exactly like the plaque below).  I always thought it would be a great tattoo, but waited six years for money, time, and to be sure I still wanted it.  The shape and layout are perfect for the upper arm.  Ian White (Black 13 Tattoo Parlor) took the two pictures  (below) and created this beautiful piece.  I'm ecstatic with the results.  He changed the scrollwork to a tree which would probably be the length of my whole arm if you straightened it out. We have one more session in February to finish it off.

The artwork represents the three phases of Woman--Maiden, Mother, and Crone.  (Scroll about halfway down for the individual explanations)

The tattoos I have, as well as the future ones, are for me-not the rest of the world.  I do want to share them, because they are beautiful and part of me. Until tattoos are accepted in the workplace, I'll keep mine covered.  I understand the stereotypes and don't want to scare any of my older patients.  But outside of work, I'll show them with pride.








2 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, Aven, it's lovely! If ever I have the guts for a second, bigger tattoo, this is just the sort of elegant, meaningful drawing I'd like.
Hmm, must remember... connection to tattoo artist in Nashville [g]

Aven said...

All the artists there are excellent. Check out the website. Ian created almost exactly what I pictured in my head with two pictures to go from.

Every time I look at it I smile and get excited all over again, lol. I don't know how I'll wait five weeks for the finished product!