Sunday, August 1, 2010

I get regular emails from Age of Autism, and this post really got to me.  It's basically about how something as difficult as Autism becomes your "norm."  And then, out of nowhere, you get slapped in the face with the reminder that not everyone lives like you do.

My moment came at the end of Dagan's second grade year, when his class had a picnic.  When I got to his school, Dagan was talking to a group of boys from his class.  They weren't exactly ignoring him, but they didn't show him much attention either.  I put a blanket on the ground justs at the edge of the shadee talked while Dagan ate his lunch.

Afterwards, he wanted to play again.  By this time, all the kids were finished eating, and the playground was chaotic.  I watched him try again and again to get his classmates to play.  Some would for a minute and then they'd run off with someone else.  Most wouldn't even acknowledge him.  So he entertained himself with reenactments of various Star Wars and Spiderman scenarios, and seemed to be perfectly fine.

But I couldn't help wondering if he even noticed it, or if he's curious about why the kids don't want to play with him.  That's the part that makes me sad.  I don't want him to be hurt, but there's nothing I can do about the other kids.

This is our normal.  I'd do anything to make growing up easier on him.  Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

4 comments:

FireLight said...

Aven, I think you should check in with Betsy at My Five Men....
http://myfivemen.blogspot.com/

I know nothing to help you cope with this....but I am sure she can give you some insights! She is an amazing lady.

FireLight said...

Oh, yes, I finally got a copy of The Outlander today. I had to ask them to hold it at the library....it stays checked out. I am heading upstairs now to read! Stay tuned....and I am glad you like my horse pictures!

Aven said...

Oh good, let me know what you think. I'm reading the whole series again for the third time.

Arnel said...

Aven,
I have one who struggles with this. I think at first they don't notice. But my son definitely notices now (he's 14). Sometimes the issues are real, sometimes imagined, which goes along with his disability because he doesn't read social cues very well. We just work with each issue as it comes up, but it is absolutely the hardest thing about all this.